Hi,

I co-mentored GSoC last year with Paulo Motta for Apache Cassandra project.
Here is what we did last year:

* Marked streaming related issues as
"gsoc2016"(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8110?jql=project%20%3D%20CASSANDRA%20AND%0A%20labels%20%3D%20gsoc2016).
These issues were presented in GSoC website so that students can
submit their proposal to them.
* Candidate student contacted us and showed interest. We advised the
student for proposal review.
* Candidate submitted the proposal, and we evaluated his ability to
accomplish the task. (Interview included).
* Note that not all candidates are accepted. Google assigns certain
number of students per organization, and since ASF has tons of
projects, it can be competitive.

* Initial plan for mentee to work was CASSANDRA-8928
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8928). Though the
work amount that we (mentors) found after GSoC started was way more
than what we estimated initially, so we switched the target issue to
technically related issue.
* Mentee finished two issues that related to streaming
(CASSANDRA-10810 and CASSANDRA-12008) in timely manner with the
quality we expected, so he passed the final evaluation.

As an organizaiton, ASF will participate to GSoC as usual this year,
but if Apache Cassandra project wants to participate, we need to start
marking JIRA issue as "gsoc2017" by 2/9.
Think before marking issue, though, that  the issue can be tackled
within GSoC period. :)

I'm still not sure if I have time to mentor this year, but I'm willing
to answer any GSoC related question.