I'm +1 on the idea of a pluggable storage engine. There's clearly a
bandwidth problem for developing/reviewing/maintain multiple storage
engines, but I think having the interface is a good thing and can enhance
testability.

At a minimum I think it's worthwhile to explore the storage engine
interface, although it may turn out that it's infeasible/impractical given
the current system. And that's OK.

Thanks,

-Jason