On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Jon Haddad <j...@jonhaddad.com> wrote:

> MVs work fine for *some use cases*, not the general use case.  That’s why
> there should be a flag.  To opt into the feature when the behavior is only
> known to be correct under a certain set of circumstances.  Nobody is saying
> the flag should be “enable_terrible_feature_nobody_tested_and_we_all_hate”,
> or something ridiculous like that.  It’s not an attack against the work
> done by anyone, the level of effort put in, or minimizing the complexity of
> the problem.  “enable_materialized_views” would be just fine.
>
> We should be honest to people about what they’re getting into.  You may
> not be aware of this, but a lot of people still believe Cassandra isn’t a
> DB that you should put in prod.  It’s because features like SASI, MVs,  or
> incremental repair get merged in prematurely (or even made the default),
> without having been thoroughly tested, understood and vetted by trusted
> community members.  New users hit the snags because they deploy the
> bleeding edge code and hit the bugs.

I beg to differ in case of SASI, it has been tested and vetted and ported
to different versions. I'm pretty sure it still has better test coverage
then most of the project does, it's not a "default" and you actually have
to opt-in to it by creating a custom index, how is that premature or
misleading to users?