Kurt, we seem to be talking past each other.  While I am concerned about
implementation bugs - which I am certain still exist - I have not at any point
raised this issue.

My concerns have consistently been more fundamental - the basic properties of a
theoretically bug-free MV are simultaneously problematic and unknown.  How can
we say we have a working feature, when we our definition of ‘working’ is
unknown?

We have unsafe defaults. Nobody in the wild is even using MVs in the way they
were designed, because they were too slow.  In no other endeavour have we gone
“well, it’s too slow, so let’s just accept data loss by default”
The only analysis that I know of to be done on the properties of MVs is my own,
and I declared it insufficient after finding multiple surprising limitations in
the design that most operators would not expect.  We have not even conveyed
these known limitations to them.
It was agreed that further analysis would be done.  It has not been done, and
might have uncovered some of the surprising MV timestamp behaviours.

We should without question be restoring safe default behaviour.  This would
likely discourage everyone from using MVs, though, because of the performance.
So nobody wants to do it.  This is just unacceptable to me, and I’ve yet to
hear anybody engage with this.

We should without question know the properties of the feature so we can
document them.  This is hard, so nobody wants to do it.  Similarly, I’ve yet to
hear a compelling response.