Thanks for raising this. Agreed this is bad, when I filed
CASSANDRA-14092 I thought a write would fail when localDeletionTime
overflows (as it is with 2.1), but that doesn't seem to be the case on
3.0+

I propose adding the assertion back so writes will fail, and reduce
the max TTL to something like 15 years for the time being while we
figure a long term solution.