Sept is a pretty long ways off.  I think the ideal case is we can announce
4.0 release at the summit.  I'm not putting this as a "do or die" date, and
I don't think we need to announce it or make promises.  Sticking with "when
it's ready" is the right approach, but we need a target, and this is imo a
good one.

This date also gives us a pretty good runway.  We could cut our first
alphas in mid June / early July, betas in August and release in Sept.
 There's a ton of work going into testing 4.0 already.
Landing CASSANDRA-15066 will put us in a pretty good spot.  We've developed
tooling at TLP that will make it a lot easier to spin up dev clusters in
AWS as well as stress test them.  I've written about this a few times in
the past, and I'll have a few blog posts coming up that will help show this
in more details.

There's some other quality of life things we should try to hammer out
before then.  Updating our default JVM settings would be nice, for
example.  Improving documentation (the data modeling section in
particular), fixing the dynamic snitch issues [1], and some improvements to
virtual tables like exposing the sstable metadata [2], and exposing table
statistics [3] come to mind.  The dynamic snitch improvement will help
performance in a big way, and the virtual tables will go a long way to
helping with quality of life.  I showed a few folks virtual tables at the
Accelerate conference last week and the missing table statistics was a big
shock.  If we can get them in, it'll be a big help to operators.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14459
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14630
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14572