>  Arguably, the other alternative to server-side denormalization is to do
the denormalization client-side which comes with the same axes of costs and
complexity, just with more of each.

That's not completely true.  You can write to any number of tables without
doing a read, and the cost of reading data off disk is significantly
greater than an insert alone.  You can crush a cluster with a write heavy
workload and MVs that would otherwise be completely fine to do all writes.

The other issue with MVs is that you still need to understand fundamentals
of data modeling, that don't magically solve the problem of enormous
partitions.  One of the reasons I've had to un-MV a lot of clusters is
because people have put an MV on a table with a low-cardinality field and
found themselves with a 10GB partition nightmare, so they need to go back
and remodel the view as something more complex anyways.  In this case, the
MV was extremely high cost since now they've not only pushed out a poor
implementation to begin with but now have the cost of a migration as well
as a rewrite.