I recently had to fix at least two problems that could've been prevented by
running tests and checks that are about to be turned off by default ([1]
and [2]).

I'd like to point out that this has happened while checks were
theoretically enabled, and both problems could've been prevented. This
doesn't seem to be a merge problem, or something that showed up only after
the merge.

I might be misunderstanding motivation for this, but my impression was that
we, as a community, are striving to be able to have working version on
every commit merged to master, and possibly even block merging in case
tests don't pass. It'd be great to hear more about why this could be
helpful.

[1] Ninja fix: fix eclipse warnings that were broken during CASSANDRA-15528
<https://github.com/apache/cassandra/commit/a01d05d9a73211fb91c068e133d78ef8ccf34b4e>
[2] Ninja fix: Fix unit tests that were broken during CASSANDRA-15303.
<https://github.com/apache/cassandra/commit/b29af2925cddacb4ab8b429b31917748781fbe5d>

--
alex p