Hi,

I'd like to raise my concern about Windows support, as we are getting
closer to 4.0 release.

Since the support for JDK11 (CASSANDRA-9608), Windows script to start
Cassandra is broken.
The fix for the script is posted to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/CASSANDRA/issues/CASSANDRA-14608.

Windows scripts are not maintained recently, and I don't think we have
any Windows environment in CI for testing.
I don't think it is a good idea to release Apache Cassandra with
broken Windows scripts.

With the latest update of Windows 10, even the Windows 10 Home edition
users can use Docker for Windows if they enable WSL2 in their machine.
However, the update is not yet available for everyone, and I believe
many Enterprises hold onto upgrading to the latest version. Even if
they do so, they can disable WSL2 from using. Some companies may not
allow installing VirtualBox either.

So, what we can do for 4.0 release:

- Stop supporting Windows. Remove every bat/ps1 scripts from the
source and distribution. Encourage Windows users to use VM/Docker.
- Continue supporting Windows. Set up Windows test environment. Test
every Windows scripts for future releases.

Since I saw enterprises with restricted dev environments (and saw
people trying to use cassandra on Windows on StackOverflow), I want to
have Windows scripts ready to be used.
But I'm also fine if we decide to remove all Windows scripts since I
use Docker anyway.

Regards,
Yuki