On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 9:57 AM Joshua McKenzie <jmcken...@apache.org> wrote:

> > I think that not supporting Windows for local dev environments would make
> > it harder for developers to get started with Apache Cassandra
> >
> I was the one that got Windows fully supported in 2014/2015 for context.
>
> I say we pull support out. The way NTFS treats hard links (i.e. inability
> to delete junctions if someone has a handle open to them even w/the right
> flags if the file is memory mapped) is just a major headache in terms of
> the way C*'s file I/O operates.

I agree, let's remove it.  We've had a history of "windows champions"
(oh, hi Josh) and I don't see a clear one here, nor do I think that's
a good methodology to promote in the long term (and history shows
this, too.)  Clearly, 90+% of C* actual usage is on a unix-like
system, so this is an outlier to support when other avenues are
available on that platform like WSL.