> most people are not looking at Javadoc when working on the codebase.
I definitely use it extensively **inside the IDE**. But never as a compiled set
of external docs.

Which is to say, I'm +1 on removing the target and I'd ask everyone to keep
javadoccing your classes and methods where things are non-obvious or there's a
logical coupling with something else in the system. :)