Even though my opinion doesn't really count here, I do feel compelled to
mention that:

 - No one expects a "beta" release to be perfect, but it does signal that
it is "close" to being ready.
 - An "alpha" release is in fact a LOT scarier than a "beta" release.

>From a user perspective, if I was coaching dev teams on selecting a build
based on newly available features, I would help them build up a dev/stage
cluster based on a beta (and make the "beta" part very clear to them).
However an alpha version just doesn't convey the same level of confidence.
When I test out an "alpha" of anything, I fully expect some things to just
be broken.

As for cutting a beta for the Summit; it makes sense that we'd want to get
some things fixed up before that. But it would also be great to be at the
point where we have a beta ready for folks to take a look at. We absolutely
could tell everyone to download the alpha and give it a spin. But more
people will be likely to do that for a beta than for an alpha.

Take that however you will.

Thanks,

Aaron