Benedict - I’ll reply more directly to the other sections.

> Another thing to balance is whether this complexity is justified for a 
> stop-gap measure, if we expect this to be made defunct by both Branimir's new 
> file format

I don’t think the incremental complexity here is that great. It is unfortunate 
that a new file format is required, as I mentioned previously, but not all file 
formats are equal complexity (nor equal payoff). The new format here strikes a 
reasonable balance that will appeal to enough users.

> have we explored simply removing anti-compaction instead

CEP-45: Mutation Tracking aims to be that exploration. I do not see a problem 
with multiple solutions competing for our users’ problems; if Mutation Tracking 
arrives first and appeals to users, so be it. I personally would be more wary 
of experimenting with a new version of incremental repair that didn’t do 
anti-compaction, compared to a new file format but the same state machine.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2026, at 6:07 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Did you miss my email[1] on the DISCUSS thread? Abe partially responded 
> to it, and I found his answer to this part satisfactory, but I would 
> appreciate discussing the remaining items before we move to a VOTE.
>
> Thanks
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/07c52dv46xk4hynknfb42kkh424r3o1y
>
> On 2026-09-28 20:40 UTC Chris Lohfink wrote:
>> I'd like to call a vote on CEP-66: Zero-copy SSTable splitting.
>> 
>> The proposal splits eligible compressed SSTables by reusing their encoded
>> compression chunks and rebuilding the child components, avoiding a row
>> rewrite. It starts with an opt-in sstablesplit --zero-copy mode for split
>> tool and BIG-format SSTables on Cassandra 7.0/trunk. Reflinks provide an
>> additional optimization where supported; otherwise, Cassandra copies the
>> encoded bytes. Follow-up incremental phases cover Spark support,
>> anticompaction, BTI, 2i, and partial-range zero copy streaming.
>> 
>> The discussion covered the new SSTable format, compatibility, reflink
>> complexity, and digest generation. The proposal and discussion are here:
>> 
>> Proposal:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/spaces/CASSANDRA/pages/451972773/draft+CEP-66+Zero-copy+SSTable+splitting
>> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/spaces/CASSANDRA/pages/451972773/draft+CEP-66+Zero-copy+SSTable+splitting>
>> 
>> Discussion:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread/sjqbv0m451kqopms8whymgwbrr2v16tw
>> <https://lists.apache.org/thread/sjqbv0m451kqopms8whymgwbrr2v16tw>
>> 
>> Please cast your vote in this thread. The vote will remain open for at
>> least 72 hours, longer if needed. Per the CEP process, adoption requires
>> three binding +1 votes and no binding vetoes.
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>>

Reply via email to