Hi,

I discussed this during CCCEU13 with David, Chip and Hugo and I promised I put it on the ml.

My idea is to come up with a reporting tool which users can run daily which feeds us back information about how they are using CloudStack:

* Hypervisors
* Zone sizes
* Cluster sizes
* Primary Storage sizes and types
* Same for Secondary Storage
* Number of management servers
* Version

This would ofcourse be anonimized where we would send one file with JSON data back to our servers where we can proccess it to do statistics.

The tool will obviously be open source and participating in this will be opt-in only.

We currently don't know what's running out there, so that would be great to know.

Some questions remain:
* Who is going to maintain the data?
* Who has access to the data?
* How long do we keep it?
* Do we do logging of IPs sending the data to us?

I certainly do not want to spy on our users, so that's why it's opt-in and the tool should be part of the main repo, but I think that for us as a project it's very useful to know what our users are doing with CloudStack.

Comments?

Wido