https://jira.spring.io/browse/SPR-11656
has a pretty good description of spring 3.2.13 support for Java 8

They did add support for Java 8 bytecode.
I am only at 3.2.4 and have no problems but we are pretty explicit about wiring and do not use autowiring.

In the end, we will all end up moving off Spring 3 so if it is manageable without delaying the release, it may be a good idea to bite the bullet and do both at once.

Ron