Unfortunately there is not much documentation around the network plugin
functionality.  When I wrote the Palo Alto integration I basically figured
out how to do it by reviewing existing plugins and just figuring it out.

So if you were to begin to implement a new hardware firewall for example, I
would point you to the Palo Alto integration code [1] and the functional
spec [2] and then make myself available to try to answer any questions you
have (like how the NetworkGuru works, where the different pieces are
registered, etc)...

Unfortunately it is not trivial, mainly because we don't have any
documentation to follow, but the plugin interface IS there.  It just
requires people who have worked it in the past to offer guidance.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/tree/master/plugins/network-elements/palo-alto
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Palo+Alto+Firewall+Integration