Initial seeding is a manual step and that is not going to change in near
future. A handy list of official places from where these templates can be
downloaded won’t harm this part of the installation. Just allow anyone credible
who follows democratic process to publish their templates with apache’s
blessings.

Coming to urls hard coded in db, the popular suggestion is to point them to
mirrors. This looks good but this is going to take some effort that has not
materialised yet. Once this change is made it will be going in some future
release like 4.11; the problem still remains for the releases that are already
out there. In case access to download.cloud.com is dropped at some point we
will have to document the procedure such that people know how to make these
stable releases work. That is where the procedure documented here
https://shankerbalan.net/blog/seed-cloudstack-templates-offline/ should be
officially adapted with a marketplace to pick up templates of choosing. Maybe
we can have a pre-setup script to make choices instead of written wiki. Note
that this will be anyway needed by the older releases.