Indeed it is severe, but please note it's a corner case which was unearthed
almost by accident. It falls down to using a new feature of selecting a boot
protocol and the template must be corrupted. So with already existing templates
I would not expect to encounter it.

As for recovery, we've managed to recover vCenter and Cloudstack after reboots
of the vCenter machine and the Cloudstack management service. There's no exact
points to recover for now, but restart seems to work.
By graceful failure I mean, cloudstack erroring out the deployment and VM
finished in ERROR state, meanwhile connection and operability with vCenter
cluster remains the same.

We're currently exploring options to fix this, one could be to disable the
feature for VMWare and work to introduce more sustainable fix in next release.
Other is to look for more guarding code when installing a template, since
VMware doesn’t actually allow you install that particular template but
cloudstack does. We'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Bobby.