XDoclet is a good generator, but the license is wrong for Apache.
Using straight Introspection can and will expose things that you do not wish to allow users to alter on the fly.

Unfortunately I'm completely snowed under until March 29th. After that date I will get back to working on JMX for cocoon. I suggested using the MX4J libraries as they are under an Apache license already, but haven't heard any thoughts here.

Aside:
We used some of the AdventNet products and they all seemed to work very well. I only used their SNMP libraries, so I can't comment on their other tools. I used XDoclet to generate MBeans instead.

We could use XML Descriptors that could be used to create dynamic MBeans. As for generation, we could generate MBeans directly, or XML descriptors from comments in the code (a'la XDoclet), the downside to this requires having access to (and modifying) the source code.

Carsten, if your offering to answer questions on Avalon, that would be way cool.

Let me know which way you think will fit in the best way for cocoon'ers and I can start on that in April.

Cheers,
Thor HW