Bart Molenkamp wrote:

> Why are marker interfaces preferred over this configuration style? These
> interfaces introduce another dependency on Avalon. I think it is better
> to not have these code dependencies, but to use configuration. This
> makes it easier to host those components in other containers as well,
> such as Spring. Same for the ThreadSafe marker interface, the
> Initializable and the Disposable interfaces (configure a method to do
> initialization/disposing of the object instead of implementing an
> interface).
>
> And I thought that people here rather move away from Avalon's
> interfaces. Then why introduce another dependency on it, when
> configuration can do the same?

Yes, I tend to agree with you. So let's forget about the new interface
and use the preload flag.

With 2.2 you can configure an init method, a dispose method, the type of
the component (thread safe, poolable) in the cocoon.xconf and you don't
have to use the interfaces anymore. Upto now we are just not using it.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/