Three values jump out to me:

* First is for our users. Having code available that no one is supporting
while giving the appearance of support (ie: active Commons) is a bad
experience.
* Second (generally for the ASF) is that if we have code we can't maintain,
because there is no one who can handle some critical issue, then we
shouldn't be treating it as a live project. That's always been something
Commons could get around by knowing that some of the committers will dig
into unknown component A and figure out what the critical issue is in the
rare times it's come up.
* Third is that it provides focus to not be trying to fix all of the
inactive components when we change the build or site. Though perhaps we
just leave it all broken anyway :)

Hen