On 9 August 2017 at 23:19, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:46:54 +0100, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 9 August 2017 at 13:51, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Build with Java 8 runs fine:
>>>   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647212
>>>
>>> But with Java 7:
>>>   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647211
>>>
>>> Is anyone willing to debug this failure?
>>

>> 1) Bug in maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin - rather noisy when it cannot
>> find the current git info
>

> That's not what makes the build fail since it happens in both.
>
>> 2) Bug in JVM - buffer overflow.
>

> That's the issue.
>
> [I should have mentioned that I had also read the job log,
> before posting.]

Yes, that would have saved others some effort.

>> Both of these could happen with any Java version.
>>
>>> Or is this a hint for making Java 8 the minimum supported
>>> version for the next release?
>>

>> That is not a valid conclusion from the evidence.
>

> How do you draw that conclusion?

Because there is no proof that the failure is caused by using Java 7
rather than because the test uses a specific version of the Java 7
JVM.

JVM crashes tend to be specific to particular implementations.
It any case, a test that fails with a JVM crash is not a failure of
the code being tested but of the JVM itself.

> More to the point, my request is: What to do to fix the negative
> advertisement for the project which this Travis issue propagates
> (see badge):
>   https://github.com/apache/commons-math

No idea. Ask a Travis guru.

The negative publicity belongs to the specific Java 7 JVM which is crashing.

Commons Math should really be praised for exposing the bug.

I think this just shows that automated checks are only useful if it is
clearly understood how the checkers measure success/failure.