Hi All:

On a slightly different tack, I think that it is way to early to require
Java 9 for ANY Commons components.

I see a case for updating all components to at least Java 7, and hopefully
8.

What you will likely hear from some quarters are comments of the type "What
feature of Java X is required for a better Commons Y".

Note that from my POV, MR Jars are a catastrophe, breaking tool chains left
and right and I will avoid these like the plague until tools support that
feature through and through, especially Android; as well as the myriad of
Maven plugins that might blow up by looking at class files in the "wrong"
place (META-INF).

The least worst solution is to do the minimum for jars to play in the Java
9 module system, which should not require Java 9 byte codes.

Another item to chew on: There is no LTS plans from Oracle for Java 9 AND
10, in fact the next LTS is for Java 11. So it seems to me then that Java
>=9 and < 11 is a moving target and I would not bend over backward for
anything in that range. Not yet at least.

Gary