1) Moving to Java 9 as a base would be a terrible choice. Java 9 is a
six-month release which is about to be replaced by Java 10, which will
then be replaced by Java 11. Thus, Java 8 is the only sensible
baseline right now.

2) Compiling a single jar file such that it works on Java 8 but has a
module-info.class for Java 9 using Maven is a right pain in the
backside. Most maven plugins cannot seamlessly handle it making the
pom.xml much more complex. Note that you do not need a multi-release
jar file to make it work. See
https://github.com/ThreeTen/threeten-extra/blob/master/pom.xml

3) It is yet to be demonstrated that JPMS is going to be widely used.
To release a jar file with JPMS module-info.class, it requires that
ALL dependencies are also JPMS modules with either module-info.class
or Automatic-Module-Name in the manifest. Most projects are nowhere
near this position yet.

Right now the plan for commons should be simple:

- add Automatic-Module-Name to MANIFEST.mf to lock down the module name
- if the project has no dependencies and runs on Java 6 or later,
consider adding a module-info.java, with the awareness that this is a
complex task

Stephen