On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 11:03:15 +0100, sebb wrote:
On 28 August 2018 at 09:25, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.invalid> wrote:
This is unlikely to happen as long as it does not cover multi-module builds

The maven-release-plugin covers multi-module releases since many years.

In the projects I'm working on there is no 'release manager'.
_Everybody_ can do releases without having to know anything special.
This is where the maven-release-plugin really shines.
Just use mvn release:prepare + mvn release:perform and be done.

If it works first time.

The problem is that the Maven release plugin design assumes that the
first release attempt will succeed.
As such, it updates trunk to the new snapshot version.
(This causes issues with CI builds)

It also assumes that the current workspace does not contain anything
it should not.

Neither of these assumptions is valid in general.

The Apache POM also makes assumptions about the content of the dist/ folder.

In light of this, then the approach implemented by Rob goes
in the right direction:
1. make it work here (for *all* components)
2. gradually fix upstream invalid assumptions (e.g. japicmp)

But the philosophy is the same: make the process simple and,
consequently, unique.

Of course it's fine if projects use ant, etc.
But ideally there should be a single way to kick of a release (fully automated, same target name across projects, etc)

LieGrue,
strub