>> > TBH not in terms of your "you act, and I must react" argument.
>>
>> It was not an argument, but a statement of fact.
>>

> Well, it "must react" feels a bit loaded.

Perhaps another (?) misunderstanding here.
The action came before the explanation, and the only possibility
was to deal synchronously (!) with the consequences.
[On some relatively old systems, it does not take 10s to delete
those hundreds of emails.]

> And I see two possible actions here:
>
> 1. A person of another project doing a release, triggering a bot to notify
> us and even create a PR.This also results in a message to the list.
> 2. A person enabling the bot, causing a one-time "flood" of messages to the
> list.
>
> I assume you were referring to 2.?

Yes.

> You were outraged you had to delete those messages?

No.
As said, this time it showed that the problem is getting
worse by the days (perhaps because most people have
efficient ways to discard those dumb messages).

> Did you missed/skip the start of the thread, where I merely
>> asked what was the flood (like I don't think we've have ever
>> seen) about?
>>

> I did indeed miss

So why assume ill intent?

> that - but I am not searching the archives for reading up
> on the exact wording.

Here you are.
I said (2nd message in this thread):
---CUT---
Hello.

What's this flood of emails about?
---CUT---

In the hope to get a plain explanation of what was attempted
and why.

Just got (3rd message):
---CUT---
Just read them!
---CUT---

> Nevertheless...
>

>> My remark came after getting a blunt reply that I should
>> read those messages (though they obviously weren't even
>> fitted to be read in a mail client) and go figure out (after the
>> fact) how to not see them.
>>

> Maybe the "blunt reply" is the main reason we are still writing here?

No.  The problem is factual and older.
Just the final straw...

> In a way I hope it is that

I hope that we somewhat converge now.

> - and not deletion of a bunch of emails.

I do that everyday.
But I see a (big) difference in deleting potentially useful
mails from plain redundant ones.

> Care to share your experience of dealing with those hundreds
>> of bot posts?
>>

> Sure. I realized what it is, then I did a search/filter to select them, and
> deleted them.

Confirming what I thought.
This time I thought that I should brought up the issue instead
of sweeping it under the rug.

> As said before that took me probably 10s.
> I am more concerned about the time I spent contributing to this thread.

Thanks for the contribution!
>From my end, I sincerely did not expect my concern to be
negated on the premise that it is easy (in some mail clients)
to filter them out, rather than question the utility of ever
increasing the production of mails that (every)one is
immediately deleting.

> Mine is that either I can get useful info out of them, or I should
>> not receive them.  [Getting automatic messages, and having
>> them thrown away automatically upon reception seems like a
>> useless dissipation of heat.]
>>

> Oh, I find them very useful.

But you deleted them...

> How are they not?
> And it's not like they get sent out like that every day.

Back to the non-issue of this one-time flood?
Issue is that there was no prior discussion.
And *everyday*, I get way more than 100 messages from
this project, probably 90% from issues@ from which less than
10% are not redundant or trivial.

This could be handled rather than denied.

> The problem is that indeed some messages from "issues@" are
>> useful (otherwise I would have unsubscribed already...).
>>

> Well, the same goes for dependency upgrades.

Perhaps.
As said in the beginning of this message and this thread,
it would have been _nice_ to _first_ post to "dev@" so that
the pros and cons are presented.

Again, it is obvious from the contents of those emails that
the primary means to view it is _not_ in an email; hence I
deduce (perhaps hastily) that it is possible to get the pros
(get the info to those interested GH users) without the cons
(relay to "issues@").
At least, the feature is half-baked or maybe badly configured,
i.e. all the more reason to not make bulk changes.