"The more challenging part is the culture differences where the sense of
community, governance, contribution and the Apache Way are still at infant
stage in China." I agree. This was my conclusion when you kindly facilitated my
trip to China earlier this year. It is that trip that motivated me to focus on
diversity and knowledge exchange in my State of the Feather session at
ApacheCon NA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UkQBOvVhfw around 17 minutes for
diversity in general, 27:50 for geographic diversity)

As a result of that trip you and I cooked up the idea of an Apache Event in
China. You made that happen with a little help from myself and a bunch of other
ASF folks as you note below. Moments ago I sent you details of the just opened
ApacheCon CFP and gave you my personal assurance that any Chinese folks who get
talks accepted will have my help in connecting with ASF people and mentors
where they are available.

I want to share some of that mail here for others to comment on:

Communities are not “formed” through the creation of such organizations.
Communities just happen when two things align. 1) there is a common goal -
writing the code to solve a problem in the case of the ASF and 2) there are
people who facilitate and motivate in order to bring people together around the
common goal.

I hear you saying that there are “Chinese ASF members, PMC members, committers,
contributors” who want this. Then they should just do it. Those are the people
who should know how to do it and they should just get on with it and do it – in
an Apache style – by writing code and facilitating and enabling project
communities around that code.

There really is no magic formula. There are set of experiences that need to be
shared so that optimal decisions can be made. What people desire is a magic
formula called The Apache Way. I’m sorry to say there is no formula and
therefore creating a top down structure to manage the spread of this magic
formula will do more to kill it than enable it.

What concerns me about this proposal is that it wants to create a China
specific Apache body because "the sense of community, governance, contribution
and the Apache Way are still at infant stage in China". So if it is at infant
stage who is to help guide this infant to maturity? How does the ASF provide
guidance to this infant?

I'm not in favor of a separate China org. I am 100% in favor of helping you and
your Chinese colleagues right here and through cultural exchanges like those
that I talked about at ApacheCon and you have facilitated.

Ross