Hi,

I have an idea that I would love to get feedback on to see if it makes
sense, feasible, has been tried, is currently being done by somebody,
etc.

My example is based on Apache Solr, but I think it may affect a lot of
Apache projects. We are all giants offering shoulders to somebody
else....

When our project releases the next version, upstream projects may fall
behind. Or something may break for them (not too often fortunately).
Or there is a cool feature they may want to use but not sure how and
have a complicated mix of user and super-technical expertise. For us,
upstream projects would be Apache Camel, NiFi, ManifoldCF, Nutch, etc.
And Solr would be upstream to Calcite, OpenNLP, Tika, ZooKeeper, etc.

We have Dev and User mailing lists, Jiras, etc, but they are all
rather high volume and are among peers.

Would it make sense to have a mailing list where committers of
upstream projects could ask questions related to their implementation
of API, interface, feature dependency, etc? The list would need to be
backed by a couple of primary project committers (preferably with a
wide rather than deep feature knowledge) that can explain new
features, translate the jargon, help troubleshoot the failures, etc.

Do people thing it would be useful and/or have examples for me to
clarify this and figure out whether/how this should exist?

Regards,
   Alex.