"don’t see this here" - that's the root of the problem.

I was the point of contact for the Code of Conduct for three years. I can
assure you the problem exists, in some cases in very extreme ways. You might
not see it (perhaps it's not in your projects) or perhaps you are blind to it
(that's not an attack on you, I miss it too, I'm part of the problem - white,
male, English speaking, imperfect).

I can assure you it exists. It's usually dealt with quietly. For the most part,
people are not intending to be exclusionary. In fact they are, usually,
offended that someone would see them as being exclusionary, they seek to
explain that "that's not what I meant, what I meant was..." [TIP: if someone is
gently pointing out an error they are not judging you they are trying to help
you see how it is exclusionary, just apologize, thank them and move on]

Then they get angry that it's positive discrimination to "censor" them, "why
aren't you protecting my right to express an opinion?" is the typical kind of
response. [TIP: the CoC applies to everyone equally it is designed to guide us
on how to express our opinion in a way that is inclusive of all]

After a (typically long) conversation explaining how they can make their point
without being exclusionary they are usually begrudgingly grateful and they can
be seen trying to modify their behavior. [TIP: it's an awesome feeling when
someone sees you making an effort and thanks you for it, plus it's good for
your project!]

As I've posted elsethread I believe that many of us are simply unaware of how
our social norms are exclusionary. I believe the softly, softly approach to
helping people realize this is more effective. However, the softly, softly
approach has the negative side effect of making the issues less visible. In my
experience this is necessary since many people affected by this are not willing
to be singled out by publicly calling out people. [TIP: always, gently, call
out exclusionary behavior you see in F2F meetings - there are very different
dynamics there and individuals sometimes need to know people are looking out
for them]

I ask that everyone reading this far take a moment to think the above through.
It means the issues that cause us to have poor diversity are mostly invisible
to us. Therefore we assume the problem doesn't exist or isn't as severe as some
claim. Thus when someone raises concerns we tell them they are wrong, which is
exclusionary in and of itself. [TIP: always assume the other person has a
justifiable reason for raising their concern and learn from it. Maybe ask how
one might help. If you just can't see it, fine, don't engage. For the sake of
our community don't deny the claim. Assume good intent. If you are right and
the it's a non-event the thread will die immediately - there is no need to
refute it]

Wade asks for explicit examples. My experience is that if we point to out an
explicit example then someone will attempt to justify it (see above) and we end
up in an argument about misinterpretation and censorship without ever getting
back to constructive debate from which we can all learn. However, you can look
at this thread for quite a number of examples.

Another place you can go is the video I shared earlier. There are two points at
which I cringe at my clumsy efforts to be inclusive at the very time I'm trying
to talk about D&I. Watch it and see if you can spot them. If you can't then why
not ask someone in a minority group?  Feel free to post your thoughts here -
there's problem things I don't see yet. Don't worry about calling me out in
public. I have no concerns being singled out. I make mistakes like the rest of
us.
Even in this thread I've made mistakes (and been called out on it privately so
I can continue to improve).

I'll try to do better. We all need to do better. A good first step is to accept
that there is a problem and ask how we can contribute to fixing it rather than
spending time denying it exists.
Ross