We can have both. And if we can have only one thing I'm in favor of the
project category list that Chris suggested.

If we have one huge list it'll just mean more mails etc., people having to
set up filters or skip over stuff they are not interested in.

I can imagine a single bigdata@ list to be super useful for coordination
between all those scattered projects: <
https://projects.apache.org/projects.html?category> (hadoop has its own
category there, a bit confusing)