Proposed: A formal working group around how we welcome new folks in a
consistent and helpful manner.

We get people on this list (and on every dev@ and user@ list at the foundation)
asking how to get engaged. We almost always give them unhelpful answers, and
send them off to go figure it out on their own.

The Welcome WG would write documentation, and process, around welcoming these
new folks, and shepherding them towards engagement. This would include, but not
be limited to:

* Guiding projects towards the incubator. This includes the “why would you want
to be at Apache? Why would you *NOT* fit at Apache?” documentation that we
really don’t have yet.
* Guiding brand-new contributors towards how, and where, to contribute. This
may include working with some of our more welcoming projects to figure out best
practice, and our less-welcoming projects to figure out why they are and help
them fix that.
* Working with second-time contributors to encourage best practice. (See
https://mikemcquaid.com/stop-mentoring-first-time-contributors/ for thoughts on
first- vs second-time contributors)
* Crafting boilerplate answers to send to folks who show up asking for help
getting involved, so that we don’t continue this practice of unhelpful “go
figure it out on your own” responses.
* Maybe work on some kind of a badging program (See
https://badges.fedoraproject.org/ if you don’t know what I mean by that) to
incentivize and gamify community engagement, for reasons that I would love to
talk much more about, but are beyond the scope of this proposal.

What do y’all think?

—
Rich Bowen
rbo...@rcbowen.com