> On Feb 25, 2024, at 5:10 PM, Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
> Rich Bowen wrote on 2/7/24 11:53 AM:
>> Proposed: A formal working group around how we welcome new folks in a
>> consistent and helpful manner.
>> We get people on this list (and on every dev@ and user@ list at the
>> foundation) asking how to get engaged. We almost always give them unhelpful
>> answers, and send them off to go figure it out on their own.
>> The Welcome WG would write documentation, and process, around welcoming
>> these new folks, and shepherding them towards engagement. This would
>> include, but not be limited to:
> ...snip...
> Question: should the wg-welcome group include reviewing all onboarding
> materials too, or does that deserve it's own group at some point?  They are
> closely related, but onboarding is a larger topic.

I could definitely see it as a separate WG. I don’t want to spend a lot of time
creating a huge pile of WGs before anybody is actually committed to working on
any of them, but if we have people show up to do this work, then splitting
would make a lot of sense. They are, indeed, closely related but not the same
thing.

> "Welcoming" is about creating easy to re-use content to help answer simple
> questions all around, and guiding newcomers - or existing contributors who
> answer questions! - to the right kind of path, and in a friendly and
> consistent way.
>
> "Onboarding" I see as reviewing and updating the actual emails, boilerplate,
> and links that we send to anyone who is being welcomed to a new role at the
> ASF - committer (on any project, or on an additional project), PMC member,
> officer, Member, etc.
>
> I've already listed the majority of actual sources our tooling actually mails
> or includes links to people in various places:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Proposal%3A+Improving+Onboarding+Experiences

Yeah, that’s definitely a lot of work that we need to do, and looks like very
actionable “where can I jump in” projects. Still struggling with the part of
the process where we actually find people to *do* the work.