Rich Bowen wrote on 2/7/24 11:53 AM:
Proposed: A formal working group around how we welcome new folks in a
consistent and helpful manner.

We get people on this list (and on every dev@ and user@ list at the foundation)
asking how to get engaged. We almost always give them unhelpful answers, and
send them off to go figure it out on their own.

The Welcome WG would write documentation, and process, around welcoming these
new folks, and shepherding them towards engagement. This would include, but not
be limited to:
...snip...
Question: should the wg-welcome group include reviewing all onboarding materials too, or does that deserve it's own group at some point? They are closely related, but onboarding is a larger topic.

"Welcoming" is about creating easy to re-use content to help answer simple questions all around, and guiding newcomers - or existing contributors who answer questions! - to the right kind of path, and in a friendly and consistent way.

"Onboarding" I see as reviewing and updating the actual emails, boilerplate, and links that we send to anyone who is being welcomed to a new role at the ASF - committer (on any project, or on an additional project), PMC member, officer, Member, etc.

I've already listed the majority of actual sources our tooling actually mails or includes links to people in various places:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Proposal%3A+Improving+Onboarding+Experiences

We need a focused group to start reviewing these, and updating them to be consistent, friendly, and useful for newcomers.

--
- Shane
  Member