A month or so ago I started pitching workgroups as a way to organize and make
progress on the many pain points around the Foundation.

We’ve made a little progress since then, but not a lot of follow-up.

The only way that we’re going to have success here is if we build this thing
together, and focus on progress, rather than perfection. So I want to encourage
each of you to think about what single task you can accomplish in one of these
working groups (or, even better, what’s your idea for another group?) in the
coming months.

So far, here’s what we have:

A top-level web page talking about the WGs:
https://community.apache.org/workinggroups/
7 proposed WGs:

wg-wg - Defining how working groups work, in general.
wg-advisors - Advising PMCs on best practice
wg-badging - Creation and maintenance of an accomplishment badging system
wg-social - Orchestrating local gathering of Apache enthusiasts
wg-social-media - Social media
wg-website - Maintenance and improvement of the website
wg-welcome - Helping projects, and the ASF in general, be more welcoming

There was a great deal of discussion on the Advisors WG, but the majority of
that was around naming, rather than actually advising projects. I think that
this is the WG where we can have the highest impact on the Foundation as a
whole, and I’d really like to see some folks stepping up to do this work, in
whatever small ways you can.

I also want to encourage each of you to take ownership of this. This isn’t *my*
effort. It’s ours, collectively, and we must share the ownership of it if we’re
going to make any progress. If any of you wants to take a more proactive
position in any of these WGs, please step forward and do it. You don’t need
anyone’s permission.

As for myself, I am kind of in stealth mode as an Advisor on a couple of
projects, and am working on the website as I have time. But this is going to
take all of us.

—
Rich Bowen
rbo...@rcbowen.com