On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 2:11 AM, Jason Smith <j...@iriscouch.com> wrote:

> Russell, thanks for you comments on the ticket.
>
> For the record, I fixed some i/o bugs in couchjs and most of the test suite
> is passing on my branch now. I have nearly achieved phase 1.
>
> I think you probably agree, in a situation like this, the only acceptable
> approach is the whitelist. I think it might be easy to disable i/o in
> Node.js, because it is easy to control what is in scope for the guest code.
> Without access to require() or the fs module, how can code perform i/o?
> Note, since the stakes are high, we must *confirm* this hypothesis, of
> course.
>
> An interesting exception and challenge for the "no I/O" rule is that of
> course the entire implementation of view servers is via message passing
> over stdio.

Not only no I/O but also accidentally keeping state between invocations as
well.

> I agree with your comments about npm. Three points:
>
> 1. Right, it is inappropriate or out of scope to talk about using
> modules/packages/npm from the view server. Besides huge security issues, it
> is only marginally useful within the CouchDB 1.x API. So much of the API is
> stateless and pure-functional programming.

+1

> 2. One reason I want to try Node.js (rather than V8) is to open the door to
> users extending CouchDB and/or building applications with full-on arbitrary
> Node.js code--totally separate from the view server API: maybe a version
> 2.x discussion.

While related I think this is a different discussion. For the view server I
think we should be looking at creating our sandboxed/whitelisted execution
environment in a node.js process. Once/if we have a hard dependency on
node.js then I think users/community will be able to go hog wild on
creating a standard for an arbitrary node.js app server thinger in front of
CouchDB and then we can get rid of all the various couchapp bits.