On Jan 31, 2013, at 17:08 , Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Jan Lehnardt <j...@apache.org> wrote:

>> JavaScript

>> install a

>> https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/Installing-Node.js-via-package-manager
>>>>

>>> Well this is the question somehow. Today when I release rcouch or
>> modified
>>> bigcouch releases I can build them statically. I then only distribute the
>>> release without any other dependencies than the system and without
>>> requiring more rights than a user have most of the time. If not I have to
>>> make sure I have the correct nodejs etc.
>>
>> Why can’t you bundle Node in rcouch?
>>

> Was thinking about it, there is nothing that prevent it i guess, but the
> toolchain needed is quite more expensive. We need either python or cmake to
> build nodejs today if I remember, so it imply more tooling. Just a matter
> of organising stuff. This for desktop. It is also a lot more complicated
> than just integrating v8.

Definitely. I am definitely interested on getting the whole packaging story
straightened out.

> On IOS and Android there isn't any stable release of nodejs today which can
> be problematic. It is easier with v8 now but this is another topic.

But we agree that this is out of scope for now?

>>> Also the point is that nodejs isn't so widely deployed or already
>> insyaled
>>> that some say.
>>
>> Yes, I get that. But I contest that premise. The only thing that matters
>> is whether Node is *available* on these systems.
>>

> Well not really. Some users have specific requirements for dependencies.
> For example lot of centos/rhel users can't install anything coming outside
> legal repos.

Right, that’s why I am asking for a list of available node versions on these
systems that we want to target with future versions of CouchDB.

> Anyway useful link. (I was just thinking that if we jump into
> node or v8 we can provide q tool discovering such resource for the user on
> install, a `check-dependencies`script) .

That’d be neat!

>> * * *
>>
>> I’d like to agree with everyone on the minimal requirements that
>> technically
>> need to be vetted before we can make a switch. Then see if we can reach
>> that,
>> and if we do, agree to switch. If we can’t agree on the first thing, all
>> this discussion is moot. Part of the minimal requirements can be "make sure
>> that in a later step we can still do X (like embedding or bundling the JS
>> env)",
>> but I don’t think we have to have definite answers for these things today,
>> as long as we don’t block them.
>>

> My requirements  for a first try are:
>
> - sandboxing: no I/O accepted by default, no global variables, or functions
> that leak content

Cool, thanks.

> - embed in our source code so we don't rely to external for that. and don't
> ask to the user to check outside

I think this one is debatable, but possible with Node (as opposed to SM).
I’d file this for nice to have someday.