On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Jason Smith <j...@iriscouch.com> wrote:

> Hi, David. Yes, you make very good points. I even think you (and Benoit)
> may be ultimately correct
>
> I dispute that Node.js is V8. Node is not V8. Node.js is a direct link to
> God. When I pray to God in the JavaScript language, God moves electrons
> around inside my computer. He writes files to my disk, and He sends packets
> out my Ethernet cable.
>
> A thought experiment: Find some computer power users or sysadmins. Break
> them into two groups, with one task each:
>
> 1. "Install Node.js on your computer, by any means"
> 2. "Install V8 on your computer, by any means"
>
> Which group would self-report more success? Which group would register
> more frustration?
>
> That is the sort of question I hope to answer (or at least supply some
> data). With any luck I can falsify my theory and theology.

Data is already coming in. People (well, "a person") have success with
CouchDB despite a difficult SpiderMonkey situation. (What's especially
sweet is that he blames Mongo for his problems.)

https://gist.github.com/4649106

IMO, this example informs the discussion about (1) build difficulty and (2)
community enthusiasm.

--
Iris Couch