Apache CouchDB software is a document-oriented database that can be queried and
indexed in a MapReduce fashion using JavaScript. CouchDB also offers
incremental replication with bi-directional conflict detection and resolution.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache CouchDB was founded 2008-11-19 (11 years ago)
There are currently 65 committers and 16 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 9:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Jonathan Hall was added to the PMC on 2020-02-12
- Juanjo Rodriguez was added as committer on 2020-02-07

## Project Activity:
- The release process for CouchDB 3.0.0 has started. We expect a release
shortly. See board reports from last year about the exact nature of this
release, including a discussion on features and backwards compatibility.
- a blog post campaign to accompany the campaign is in the works as well.
- a rouge source that provided binary builds off of CouchDB master has
been shut down. Unbeknownst to the project, a good number of critical fixes
for the 3.0.0 release were found by users of this unauthorised binary provider.
We are happy to continue to make sure the project complies with ASF policy, but
we also want to highlight that we benefitted from something that was
technically forbidden, so maybe it is worth reconsidering some of this.
Due to the release process, we are currently not in the position to bring
this up in the form of a regular policy change request, we just wanted to
flag this, in case someone wants to take up this cause.
- a large corporate contributor to CouchDB has an infrastructure policy of
only allowing outbound HTML emails, while the ASF mail servers allow
absolutely no HTML. This has lead to friction in getting individuals from that
corporation to participate in the official channels of the project. We’ve made
due for the moment, but this is hurting our official activity as people will
go the route of least friction and start discussions outside of official
channels. While those discussions are not of a nature that make decisions for
the project, we are careful about keeping those on dev@, it leads to folks
missing out on discussions, if they don’t happen to be part of a discussion
channel that’s more accessible than the plaintext mailing list. Again,
we are not in a position to pick up the mantle for this surely larger
discussion, we just bring up another data point on the issue.

## Community Health:
Community activity is in line with our expectations. We are seeing an uptick
of new contributions around in the lead up of 3.0.0, which people are genuinely
excited about.