Hi

I have 10 threads involved, 5 control ones + 5 application ones, I see a
loss of message approximately once in 5 cases. The fact that cont.resume()
is done virtually immediately after cont.suspend() can explain it.

Without seeing your code, I cannot really offer valid suggestions, but I'll
try....   :-)

I guess having it all on a branch would be handy then :-)

One thought was in the Continuation object, record if "resume()" has been
called and if it's been callled by the time the stack unwinds back into the
Http transport, just re-dispatch immediately.   Either that or have the
resume block until the http transport sets a "ready to resume" flag just
before it allows the exception to flow back into jetty.

I have 2 tests.

In one test an application server code interacts with a wrapper, both when getting a continuation instance and when calling suspend/resume on it (as suggested by yourself earlier in this thread). In this case, under the hood, an inbound message is associated with a continuation instance before suspend() is called on it. Thus even if the resulting exception does not reach Jetty Destination in time before continuation.resume() is called by a control thread, the message is not lost when the HTTP request is resumed as that HTTP request had this continuation instance associated with it at a time ContinuationsSupport.getContinuations(request) was called.

In other test which I believe represents an integration scenario with SMX better, an application server code calls Jetty ContinuationsSupport.getContinuations(request) followed by continuation.suspend(). Now, in this case, before a (Jetty RetryRequest) runtime exception reaches a catch block in AbstractInvoker (where I try to associate a message with continuation), one or two control threads manage to squeeze in and call resume() before catch block has even been processed. So by the time the wrapped exception reaches JettyDestination a request with a resumed continuation has already come back...

Does this explanation for a second case and the associated race condition
sounds reasonable ?

Cheers, Sergey

Dan

Cheers, Sergey

> That said, I'm now trying to inject a message as a custom continuation
> object (while preserving the original one if any, both ways) as early as
> possible, in AbstractInvoker, so the time window at which the race
> condition I talked about earlier can cause the loss of the original
> message, is extremely small the time it taked for the
> continuation.suspend() exception to reach a catch block in
> AbstractInvoker.
>
> Cheers, Sergey
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did some system testing with Jetty continuations and it's going not
>> too bad. Here's one issue which I've encountered which might or might
>> not be a problem in cases where continuations are ustilized directly
>> (that is without our wrappers), as in case of say ServiceMix CXF binding
>> component.
>>
>> The problem is that when continuation.suspend(timeout) has been called,
>> a resulting RuntimeException might not reach CXF JettyDestination (such
>> that the original message with its phase chain can be preserved until
>> the request is resumed) if some other application thread calls
>> continuation.resume() or continuation suspend timeout expires.
>>
>> In case of ServiceMix the latter is a theoretical possibility at the
>> least. I can see in its code this timeout is configured, but if this
>> timeout is in the region of up to 1 sec or so then it's feasible that
>> with a heavy  workload the race condition described above might come to
>> life.
>>
>> That said, as part of my test, I found that even when such condition
>> occurs, the 'worst' thing which can happen is that a new message and a
>> new chain are created, that is, the request is not resumed from a
>> 'suspended' ServiceInvokerInterceptor, but starts as if it was a new
>> request alltogether, but it all works nonetheless, as all the stack
>> variables used in various interceptors in my given test at least are all
>> obtained from a message. The only downside is that that the work which
>> has already been done earlier as part of handling the suspended request
>> is repeated again by the interceptors. It can cause issues though in
>> cases when some interceptors have sideeffects as part of handling a
>> given input request, say modify a db, etc
>>
>> Now, this race condition can be safely avoided if a wrapper proposed by
>> Dan is used by a server application code as the message can be preserved
>> immediately at a point a user calls suspend on our wrapper, so without
>> further doubts I've prototyped it too. It's not possible for SMX
>> components though
>>
>> Comments ?
>>
>> Cheers, Sergey
>>
>>> I guess my thinking was to tie the continutations directly to the
>>> PhaseInterceptorChain (since that is going to need to know about them
>>> anyway).   However, I suppose it could easily be done with a new
>>> interface. Probably the best thing to do is to stub out a sample

--
Daniel Kulp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]