Thanks for the clarification. I'll try to answer my own question then,
please comment if anything is not right:

> * why does PropertyFileConfig implement DeltaSpikeConfig? Doesn't
> make sense to me, given the purpose of DeltaSpikeConfig.

I guess this was not intentional and is a bug. I'll file an issue for
this.

> * is there any reason why the ones from the first category
> (TransactionConfig and JsfModuleConfig) couldn't be implemented
> using the second way (TypedConfig)?

They couldn't, synce TypedConfig is for "static" boot-time configuration
.

> * if none of the above is applicable, then: shouldn't the
> TypedConfig ones (CoreBaseConfig, ...) implement DeltaSpikeConfig
> as well?

I understand that we'd like to keep DeltaSpikeConfig as the marker for
all "dynamic" configuration, i.e. the way it's used now.
Maybe we could introduce a new interface to expose the
TypedConfig-based interfaces, sth. like DeltaSpikeBaseConfig.

R.

On 27.4.2015 21:36, Mark Struberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry for brevity. Like to quickly sum up what we discussed on
> irc:
>
> .) DeltaSpikeConfig is merely a marker interface for
> interfaces/classes which can be used to define the behaviour of
> certain DeltaSpike features at runtimy. Since this is a class it
> can return different values for each invocation. This is e.g.
> useful for the LocaleResoler configuration (each user request could
> result in another Locale). Otoh this configuration mechanism is
> only available once the CDI container finally got booted. So it can
> NOT be used to e.g. configure CDI Extensions itself.
>
> .) ConfigResolver based configuration. The TypeConfig is basically
> a object which contains the config-key + code to access the value.
> This mechanism is purely JavaSE and thus can also be used to
> configure Extensions itself as well. It’s also more the kind of a
> ’static’ configuration.
>
> LieGrue, strub
>

>> Am 27.04.2015 um 19:38 schrieb Ron Smeral <rsme...@apache.org>:
>>
> Hi,
>
> DeltaSpike itself is currently configured in at least 2 different
> ways: * using interfaces extending DeltaSpikeConfig: **
> org.apache.deltaspike.jpa.api.transaction.TransactionConfig **
> org.apache.deltaspike.jsf.api.config.JsfModuleConfig (**
> PropertyFileConfig (Why? It does not configure just DS itself.))
>
> * using interfaces with static TypedConfig instances: **
> org.apache.deltaspike.testcontrol.impl.jsf.MyFacesTestBaseConfig **
> org.apache.deltaspike.testcontrol.api.junit.TestBaseConfig **
> org.apache.deltaspike.scheduler.impl.SchedulerBaseConfig **
> org.apache.deltaspike.jsf.api.config.base.JsfBaseConfig **
> org.apache.deltaspike.core.api.config.base.CoreBaseConfig
>
> My questions are: * why does PropertyFileConfig implement
> DeltaSpikeConfig? Doesn't make sense to me, given the purpose of
> DeltaSpikeConfig.
>
> * is there any reason why the ones from the first category
> (TransactionConfig and JsfModuleConfig) couldn't be implemented
> using the second way (TypedConfig)?
>
> * if none of the above is applicable, then: shouldn't the
> TypedConfig ones (CoreBaseConfig, ...) implement DeltaSpikeConfig
> as well?
>
> I hacked up a quick suggestion of how this could look:
> https://github.com/rsmeral/deltaspike/commit/b5be1c79b67d6a15b30036ed9
0a

7b90fba9b5e00

> Currently, having two ways of configuration defies the purpose of
> DeltaSpikeConfig -- that is allowing to find DS configuration
> points easily.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Regards, Ron

- --