On Sep 23, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Felix Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Well, here's an idea let us see if we can adapt/configure it for our needs:

Put the *help modules into a separate profile and have it activated by ? (see [1]). We just need to find an appropriate activator which fits our needs. We can have e.g. such a timestamp file (exist or not) to activate to 'help' profile. The
question is just 'How to figure out if something has changed?".
One possibility could be that we create such a file when doing a build and only delete it when running a new build including the 'clean' goal -> adapt the clean goal configuration in such a way that it deletes the timestamp file. The timestamp file needs to be added to svn:ignore and it's location can/should be in the *help modules root directory.

As said, just an idea. Maybe there are better solutions.

I must have catch the Maven way of thinking, because I was thinking about something pretty similar... Hehe.

A special profile that gets triggered when we want, or based on a condition (a file existing [or not] somewhere).

We'll see that after I'm done with the Manifests. ;)

In general the fact that a module hasn't changed doesn't mean it will build: the stuff it depends on might have changed to break it. Thus I think CI builds should be complete builds of everything.

There's been activity recently in maven on enabling dependency based partial builds. IIUC most of this will be in maven 2.1-M2 (it's apparently in trunk) and there's a plugin for earlier mavens. I haven't tried it personally yet.... the first experiment I made didn't work and I didn't poke very hard to find out what was wrong.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-reactor-plugin/

thanks
david jencks

Thanks,