From: Emmanuel Lécharny [mailto:elecha...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 3:32 PM
To: Apache Directory Developers List <dev@directory.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Queston on Interceptor

Le 22/09/16 à 20:55, Sathyanarayan, Harish a écrit :
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> The custom interceptor I wrote looks like:
>
> public class ProxyInterceptor extends BaseInterceptor {
>
> @Override
>       public EntryFilteringCursor search(final SearchOperationContext
> searchContext) throws LdapException {
>
> // call connector
> }
>
> @Override
>       public void add(final AddOperationContext addContext) throws
> LdapException {
>               try { logger.info("addContext.getEntry() ");
>                       proxyConnector.add(addContext.getEntry());
>               } catch (CursorException e) {
>                       logger.info(e.getMessage());
>               }
>               next(addContext);
>       }
>
> @Override
> public void modify(final ModifyOperationContext modifyContext) throws
> LdapException {
>
>       }
>
> }
>

> I am calling this interceptor from my resource class. For example the rest
> call for modify does not work:
>
>                              Modification mod = new DefaultModification(
> ModificationOperation.REPLACE_ATTRIBUTE, "o",
>                           "test123456" );
>                       ModifyRequest modifyRequest = new ModifyRequestImpl();
>                       modifyRequest.setName(new Dn("dc=example,dc=com"));
>                       modifyRequest.addModification(mod);
>
>                       getConnection().modify(modifyRequest);
>                               // connection.modify("test", );
>                               logger.info("after modify");
>                               releaseConnection(connection);
>

> Hope this helps, let me know if anything else...thanks!

Ok, makes sense.

The interceptors are weird little beasts... The way they are called is a bit
complex.

Basically, each interceptor can implement as many method as needed, from the
interface they implement. Each of those method is going to be called by the

Now, the tricky part is how the interceptors get called, and how ne interceptor
know which is the next one.

Each operation is associated with an ordered list of interceptor As you may not
want to implement some operation, these lists may be longer or shorter. For
instance, the search operation is handled by pretty much all the interceptor,
but ChangeLogInterceptor or JournalInterceptor (because we don't log searches,
and a search is not an change). This is true for every interceptor.
This list may change, depending on which interceptor is loaded and enabled. If
you add your own interceptor, then the lists are going to be longer.

All in all we use a map<Operation, List<Interceptor>> to store this
information. the tricky part is to have this map created. Actually, you need to
modify the server's configuration, insterting your intercerceptor are the place
you want, and this is the moment the map is fed.

Let's do that  : can you check the content of this map? You can get each
operation list by calling DirectoryService.getInterceptors( OperationEnum )
where OperationEnum is one of :

    ADD
    BIND
    COMPARE
    DELETE
    GET_ROOT_DSE
    HAS_ENTRY
    LIST
    LOOKUP
    MODIFY
    MOVE
    MOVE_AND_RENAME
    RENAME
    SEARCH
    UNBIND

Typically, try with SEARH, and see what list you have, and try with ADD to see
what you have. Your interceptor must be listed in both case.