Frank Peters wrote:
The purpose is very simple a magazine format will give you articles
information from many different sources in one place. It is also a
distributable item that can be printed out I just need to sort some
design elements out to do this. There are lots of reasons why a magazine
is a good thing otherwise news stands would be out of business.

I'm not questioning that. I'm asking why one would optimize the layout
to be watched on the screen (landscape) as opposed to print out
(portrait). For me, PDF is a printout format, predominantly.

I read PDF magazines onscreen when I can (eg Linux Journal Digital), and only print out a few pages to keep for reference. Landscape orientation means a PDF works very well for both purposes, but portrait works well only for printouts especially if the design is 2-column (otherwise I have to scroll vertically a lot, both up and down).

I am very impressed with the Ubuntu magazine because of its design for onscreen viewing.

--Jean