I would agree.  I like the idea at least in theory, but a lot of
questions have to be settled both big and small.  The issue of file
format, while relatively small, will influence who will read your
magazine and who won't.
Also, are you going to solicit submissions?  Are they going to be paid?
 Are you looking at this as a for-profit or non-profit effort?  What
will be the frequency of publication, and where will it be distributed
and by whom?
I don't know your background or career, but if it isn't in journalism or
mass communications, I would very heavily suggest hiring or recruiting a
copy editor.  And HTML vs. PDF will determine whether you need a web
developer or a layout editor.  Those are two different skill sets.
I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, but as a journalism co-major
I know putting together a publication is not simply deciding "hey I
think it would be cool to put this out as a magazine."  The majority of
publications fail during their first year, in part because people don't
think out the concept completely and don't prepare a plan.
I like it in concept, but the devil is in the execution of your plan.