Hi,

On 09/04/09 15:55, Clayton wrote:

If we argue that we can use Writer as a DocBook editor (it is
technically possible to export DocBook from Writer), then why bother
with DocBook? Do the docs right in ODT.

No matter which way we go (Wiki, DocBook, or something else), we will
have issues.  If we use a CMS of some sort and Writer (TeamDrive and
Alfresco, to name two, have OOo plugins so you can access the files
direct from OOo), we loose a lot of the simple accessibility that we
have in the Wiki.  If we use the Wiki, we have difficulty exporting to
other formats.

The Wiki is definitely not a perfect medium for documenting, but... it
does the job reasonably OK in most cases.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to use OOoWriter to author and
edit the docs, save them to webserver (just via save), and be able to
automatically/immediately have them rendered into Webpages (as in the
way the Wiki works).  There is not yet a OOo based Wiki :-) It'd be the
best of both worlds.

C.

this can be solved by software, so it is not a problem. May be today, but not tomorrow. See the ODF @ WWW project proposed by Kay Ramme some time ago, and watch the screencast at http://odf-at-www.openoffice.org/

And I would be very happy if the Help source files would be available for editing by every interested user. Still a long and winding road to edit and compile the set of Help files.

Uwe
--
  u...@openoffice.org  -  Technical Writer
  StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany