On 2022-06-28 02:14, Honnappa Nagarahalli wrote:
> <snip>

Per-core counters is a very common pattern. Used for Linux MIB counters,
for example. I'm not sure I think it's much less accurate. I mean, you
just load in quick succession what's globally visible for the different
per-lcore counters. If you do a relaxed store on an ARM, how long time
does it take until it's seen by someone doing a relaxed load on a
different core? Roughly.

> I am also wondering if these stats are of any use other than for debugging.
> Adding a capability to disable stats might help as well.

They could be used as a crude tool to determine service core
utilization. Comparing utilization between different services running on
the same core should be straight-forward, but lcore utilization is
harder in absolute terms. If you just look at "cycles", a completely
idle core would look like it's very busy (basically rdtsc latency added
for every loop). I assume you'd have to do some heuristic based on both
"calls" and "cycles" to get an estimate.

I think service core utilization would be very useful, although that
would require some changes in the service function signature, so the
service can report back if it did some useful work for a particular call.

That would make for a DPDK 'top'. Just like 'top', it can't impose any
serious performance degradation when used, to be really useful, I think.

Sure, it should be possible to turn it on and off. I thought that was
the case already?