<snip>

If we consider a global time line of events, using atomic operation will
provide a single 'now' from the reader's perspective (of course there might be
writers waiting to update). Without the atomic operations, there will not be a
single 'now' from reader's perspective, there will be multiple read events on
the timeline.

> I was fortunate to get some data from a real-world application, and enabling
> service core stats resulted in a 7% degradation of overall system capacity.
> I'm
> guessing atomic instructions would not make things better.
Is the service running on multiple cores?