Github user parthchandra commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/1144

    To be honest, I don't know. There are too many paths available to write to
direct memory, some which were developed over time and so not all vector code
may be using them.
    Ideally, every bit of code should go thru DrillBuf which wraps a UDLE
(UnsafeDirectLittleEndian). UDLE has one level of bounds check (which I feel is
necessary) and uses PlatformDependent directly.
    Vector set safe methods provides vector level bounds checking and the
vector set methods bypass bounds checking. ResultSetLoader methods provide
guarantees that may make the set safe methods redundant.
    Our goal should be to not depend on the set safe methods except for
debugging.
    What exactly are you thinking of when proposing using PlatformDependent
directly.

---