Avik,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your questions. See my replies inline. I
know we also talked about some of this while in person at the Mentor Summit.

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Avik Ganguly <avikganguly...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> 1) Context :- Last time I merged my organization's MifosX fork, I faced
> difficulties in deciding whether to rebase with MifosX or Fineract. On
> going through the commit history of both in details, I found MifosX had
> more assets related changes whereas Fineract had more liability and
> infrastructure related changes. (I went with Fineract in the end as the
> only thing we really wanted from MifosX was rescheduling which had open
> issues being addressed by Pramod at that time). Based on the commit
> history, I am still surprised that one set of client apps is able to
> support both platforms (which means API contracts has not diverged yet).
> Question :- Am I missing out on something or are the efforts of the
> community ending up in 2 similar codebases for some particular reason?

Avik - after we entered incubation at Apache, the mifosx
repository/codebase was deprecated. As you can see from the repo at
https://github.com/openMF/mifosx, the last commit to that codebase was in
February 2016. There shouldn't be any differences in terms of asset or
liability functionalities in Apache Fineract all the code (apart from
Pentaho reports libraries and Hibernate-related code) was moved into Apache
Fineract when mifosx repository was deprecated.

As I think you've already discovered, the main repo for Apache Fineract is
at https://github.com/apache/fineract/. We simply maintain a mirror of it
from openMF github. All pull requests and forking of the repo should be
from the apache/fineract repo.

All that being said, Mifos X the distribute/community release on top of
Apache Fineract maintained by the Mifos Initiative is still active. But it
merely consists of the .WAR file bundled with the web app that is built on
top of the latest stable release of Apache Fineract.

The blog post we made a while back tries to explain the infrastructure of
version control, communication, and issue tracking. I welcome any updates
to that page or incorporating this into the Apache Fineract wiki itself:
http://mifos.org/blog/infrastructure-apache-mifosx/

> 2) Is there any volunteering or dedicated QA engineer who certifies
> releases other than Santosh?  Jenkins making PRs breaking existing tests
> un-mergeable was part of MifosX; any reason for it not being part of
> Fineract?

Right now for Apache Fineract 1.0 and the Mifos X distribution and apps,
Santosh on contract from Conflux Technologies leads the role. However, over
the longterm and especially with Fineract-CN this has to be a community-led
effort by members of the PMC, individual partners, and volunteers.

Let's start a separate thread on getting continuous integration
successfully running for Apache Fineract. I'm not sure if there are any
restrictions from the Apache side.

> 3) Any particular reason why the release process is mentioned as a
> bottleneck? Is cherry-picking MifosX commits or MifosX picking Fineract
> commits somehow involved as part of release process? Is Nazeer contributing
> to both MifosX and Fineract releases?

What is most time-consuming (at least in the past) has been the back and
forth to get code up to community standards and get it generic enough for
shipping with the main release. Nazeer is the lead who guides both the
Apache Fineract release at the Apache level and he also guides the
packaging of the subsequent Mifos X distribution release on top of Apache
Fineract.

--
*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative