Using Google JS library and server API are different things.
Google doesn't allow access to their map server and data through any client component not provided by Google.
So, there is no way to legally build another Flash API for Google maps.
If nothing changes in the meantime Google maps swf is probably gone next year.

OpenScales (http://openscales.org) is another nice open source library that works with Flex. Map24 from Navteq is also an interesting data source, but they don't have Flash component. Not sure if something changed, but as I remember their API rules were less strict than Google's.

Cheers,

Tomislav